Our Radiologists
Our History


Hospital Affiliations
Outpatient Centers

OUR HISTORY


Dr. Daniel Talley Jr


Dr. Lawther Whitehead


Dr. Ennion Williams

We have been leaders in the field of radiology since the first decade of science. In 1905 Dr. Daniel Talley, Jr., one of radiology's pioneers, established a private radiology consulting practice in Richmond, only ten years after the publication of Dr. Roentgen's groundbreaking papers on the properties of "X-rays." Dr. Talley received his degree from the Medical College of Virginia in 1901, when X-rays were just beginning to be applied to the practice of medicine. Because of his interest in the infant specialty, Dr. Talley went to the Mayo Clinic to study under Dr. Russell Carmine, one of the earliest American authorities in the field.

Upon his return to Richmond, Dr. Talley installed the X-ray equipment of the day in his office, beginning what has become the nation's oldest private radiology group. Dr. Talley's pioneering venture, initially intended as an adjunct to his practice of family medicine, eventually grew into Radiology Associates. In 1909 Dr. Talley was invited to open a radiology office in the old Johnston-Willis hospital in Richmond at 6th and Franklin streets, establishing a relationship which has continued to the present.

After the World War I, Dr. Lawther J. Whitehead joined Dr. Talley, and the two practiced radiology together until Dr. Whitehead's death in 1959. By then, Dr. Talley needed help with the practice, and he was joined by his son. Dr. Daniel D. Talley III had trained at the University of Pennsylvania Hospital, which was in the forefront of the practice and teaching of radiology. The younger Dr. Talley recognized the growing demand for high-quality radiology services, as well as the need for up-to-date radiology practice disciplines in the Richmond medical community. He began recruiting physicians who were formally trained in the latest techniques in the field. As a result of his foresight, Radiology Associates has become the leading provider of radiology services to the medical community in central Virginia.



Early Virginia colleagues of Dr. Talley in the practice of radiology included Dr. Ennion Williams, perhaps the first physician in Virginia to use X-rays in the diagnosis of tuberculosis, and Dr. Alfred Gray, the first head of radiology at MCV. Dr. Talley eventually succeeded Dr. Gray as Chairman of the Radiology Department at MCV.



 


2602 Buford Road | Richmond, VA 23235 | [ P ] 804 272 8806 | © Radiology Associates of Richmond | HIPAA Privacy | Contact Us